Back again with another delicious & traditional french recipe. This one is one of my favorite french recipes which is (almost) 100% vegan on its own! (only thing that isn’t vegan in the original recipe is the butter and the broth). This recipe was one of my first recipes on tofucado and I felt a bit nostalgic at the beginning of 2021 so I’ve decided to make it again, but this time in video format and also, with my amazing Le creuset. So… here my traditional french onion soup!
Ingredients for this traditional french onion soup
As I mention in the video, making a french onion soup isn’t difficult, it just requires love & patience (since you will be cooking it for at least 1h).
Here the ingredients you will need:
For the soup :
- Onions 5-6 small-medium sized onions (yellow)
- Bay leaves, rosemary, salt & pepper
- Veggie broth (I used veggie broth powder)
For the grilled cheese toast
- Bread (I used my homemade bread, here the recipe!)
- Olive oil or butter
- Cheese (to melt)
Similar “french” traditional recipes
I live in France so naturally I have tried & eaten tons of french recipes and since I like the challenge I have adapted them to be vegan or vegetarian. This is why tofucado has sooo many french recipes. I will continue to grow this “collection” of french recipes in the future, but for now, if you want to check out more recipes (cooking & baking included), see the list below!
- Easy & traditional ratatouille
- Vegan chocolate éclairs
- Summer vegan tomato tarte tatin
- Vegan Tofu Bourguignon
- Homemade Tarte Tatin (from scratch!)
Traditional French Onion Soup
- 4 onions 700-800g
- 3 garlic cloves
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 tbsp rosemary
- 4-5 bay leaves
- 2 tbsp veggie broth powder Skip this if you using liquid veggie broth
- 1 tsp salt Adjust to your taste!
- 1 tsp pepper Adjust to your taste!
- 600 ml water or liquid veggie broth
- 2 slices bread
- Cheese to melt
- Some olive or butter
- Cut the onions in two sizes: dices and in slices. I like to feel the onion when having my french onion soup, so I always make sure they have different sizes!
- Melt the butter in a pot and once it's melted add all the onions. Mix well and cook at medium-high temperature for 10 minutes with the lid on. This will brown them.
- Once onions are turning brown, reduce temperature to medium-low and add the flour & minced garlic. Cook for 2 minutes while stirring then add the rosemary, salt & pepper and veggie broth powder (if you using liquid broth, just add the rosemary, salt & pepper)
- Add 200ml of hot water (or liquid broth if that's what you are using). Stir well and make sure you properly deglaze the bottom with a spoon. Add the remaining liquid (300 ml)
- Cover with a lid and simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- While the soup is simmering, prepare your grilled cheese bread: with each slice of bread, add some olive oil or butter, then top with cheese and put in the oven till the cheese has melted (grill function)
- When the soup is ready, serve in bowls and top with one slice of bread with cheese!