Hi guys! I haven’t been in the best of conditions these days. I was out of my home for three days and got a very strong cold during that time and now it’s the weekend and I’m sick. And being sick on the weekend really sucks.
In order to get my body fully operational as fast as possible, I made my feel good veggie soup and I made tons of it. The recipe I’ll put here works both for INSTANT Pot and just your normal cooking setting. I tried making it in the instant pot and it was the same, just faster. I’ll give you directions whenever the steps are different (time and cooking technique).
|Difficulty: 2/5||Prep time : 10 to 15 minutes|
|Type : One pot soup||Cooking time : |
> Instant Pot : Around 40 minutes
> Non-instant pot cooking : Between 1h and 3h (the more it stays cooking, the stronger the flavor)
Serves 2 – 3 big eaters :
- 2 medium sized leeks
- 4 celery stalks (add the leaves of 2 stalks)
- 3 medium sized carrots
- 1 jar of chickpeas (around 2-3 cups)
- 5-7 cups of vegetable broth
- Any other vegetable that you like that does well in soups: tomatoes, mushrooms, cabbage,… I usually add potatoes for extra starchiness but I forgot to buy them.
- I added some spices on top of it, we have some mix of garlic and chili flakes and I added just a tiny bit for some extra punch, but it wasn’t overpowering.
Instant Pot :
- Place all vegetables in the pot and sauté for 3-4 minutes just to reheat a bit the pot.
- Add the vegetable broth and switch from sauté function to PRESSURE COOK.
- Set timer to 5 minutes (if you add potatoes I recommend increasing the time to 10 minutes).
- The instant pot will take some time to come to pressure, it took precisely 19 minutes for ours to start the timer.
- Once timer is off, we let the instant pot release pressure naturally for 10-15 minutes. I was rather hungry and my sickness was kicking it so I needed to eat quickly. There was still a certain amount of pressure even after the 10-15 minutes time, so if you want to let it sit a bit longer, you can go ahead. Either way, there was no “exploding over the cabinets”, so don’t worry about that.
- I ate my soup with rice, but you can also choose to eat it with very thing pasta such as angel pasta or vermicelli.
Non-instant pot :
- In a very large pot, place all ingredients and water and bring it to a boil.
- Boil at high temp for 5-10 minutes, then reduce heat to minimum.
- Let it cook in low heat for as long as you want. The longer it stays the thicker the broth will be !
The end result was really yummy, next time I will be adding more starch or even more different vegetables. It still was a great thing and I was surprised to see how fast the instant pot could prepare this. It’s an inspiration from a traditional meal in Catalunya that is definitely not vegetarian (Escudella), and I love soups so I was really glad to make it vegetarian and in such a short time.
What’s your favorite meal to have when feeling sick? Or when the weather begins to get colder? I absolutely adore soups but also bakes such as lasagnas and cheese based recipes !