Smoked tofu is really good. The more I eat it the more I realize how bland my life was when I was not eating it. Not only it is a great source of protein but it is also a great source of flavor to your meals. I use smoked tofu in ramen, in my vegetarian choucroute, in a healthy smoked tofu bowl like the one I’m presenting today and trust me, it never disappoints. Which is why I’m sharing my go-to recipe for smoked tofu bowl: delicious, full of nutrients and a great idea for lunches at the job.
🇫🇷 La recette est disponible en français pour tous qui souhaitent la lire comme ça!
Ingredients for a healthy smoked tofu bowl
- Smoked tofu
- Veggies: Anything that you want to use is great. I used broccoli, red onion, carrot and yellow pepper.
- Rice: To serve with it. I made a creamy rice with cherry tomatoes and garlic to give it a bit more flavor. You can use any type of side like quinoa, rice, wild rice, even pasta.
- Seasoning: Olive oil (as per usual), salt and pepper, and I also used a bit of fines herbes and paprika to give the overall result an extra layer of flavor.
There are three different things going on with this bowl: the tofu, the veggies and the rice. Let’s go one by one.
Well, this one isn’t too much of a secret. I still haven’t tried to make my own smoked tofu mainly because my kitchen has limited space and the tools I’d need to do that take a lot of that limited space. So I bought some smoked tofu then proceeded to sauté it in small cubes with some olive oil, pepper and salt. Cook it till the sides start to golden then it is good to serve. This usually takes around 5 to 10 minutes at medium temperature.
We are going to start by chopping all the vegetables. In my bowl, broccoli, red onion, carrot and yellow pepper. I chopped the broccoli in large pieces, the onion I sliced it, carrot was cut in slices and pepper was cut in large chunks without much care. As I said, this is an informal bowl.
In a pan (use the same one as the tofu to reduce the amount of dishes to wash!), add some olive oil and start cooking the veggies in the following order: onion, then broccoli, then pepper and carrot at the same time. Add the spices (fines herbes and paprika) with some salt and pepper. This is going to take around 15 to 20 minutes at medium temperature. I like my broccoli to still have some crunch to it but if you want it more cooked, just continue a bit longer.
For the rice, I used arborio rice because I wanted it to have that creamy risotto texture, plus it was the only one I had available. We are going to cook it following my risotto recipe method. Add the rice in a pot, roast it a bit, then add broth bit by bit, letting the rice absorbe it. When the rice is almost cooked, add the cherry tomatoes and garlic and continue cooking for 5 to 10 more minutes. You can add a bit of cream if you want extra texture to your smoked tofu bowl.
If you like this tofu recipe, check out all my tofu cooking series to get other ideas! (How to cook with tofu, several tofu recipes and many more)
📣 What other healthy bowls have you tried and liked ? I want to try more of this type of recipes! It was really fun to do, so all ideas are welcomed.
Healthy Smoked Tofu Rice Bowl recipe
- 1 cup of broccoli
- 1 cup of yellow pepper
- 1 cup carrot
- 1 red onion
- 1 package smoked tofu 300g
- 1 cup of rice
- 4 cups veggie broth
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- 1 tbsp fines herbes
- 1 tbsp paprika
- Olive oil for the pan
- 1 tbsp Butter for the rice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp cream optional for rice
- In a pot, add the butter and melt it. When melted, add the rice and mix well. Toast the rice for about 2 to 3 minutes at medium temperature.
- Gradually add the veggie broth, one cup at a time until the rice is almost cooked. Add the cherry tomatoes and garlic and mix well.
- Continue to cook until rice is fully cooked. Set aside and serve a portion in the bowl.
- Prep all the veggies. In a pan, add some olive oil and add the veggies in the following order: onion, broccoli and carrot and pepper.
- Cook the onion for 2-3 minutes, then add the broccoli. Cook it for 5 minutes. Add the spices. Then add the carrot & pepper and continue to cook for 10 minutes.
- Mix well and cook till the veggies reach the consistency you wish for. Set aside and serve a portion in the bowl.
- Cut the tofu in dices. Add a bit of olive oil in a pan and when hot, add the tofu.
- Cook the tofu till it starts to brown, around 5 to 10 minutes. Serve in the bowl.
🇫🇷 Healthy bol de riz avec du tofu fumé – Version en français
- 175g de brocoli
- 1 poivron jaune
- 3 carottes
- 1 oignon rouge
- 1 paquet de tofu fumé (300g)
- 175g de riz
- 400ml bouillon légume
- 200g tomates cherry
- 1 gousse d’ail
- 1 cuillère à café de fines herbes
- 1 cuillère à café de paprika
- Huile d’olive (1 à 2 cuillères à café)
- 1 cuillère à café de beurre
- Sel et poivre pour assaisonner
- 1 cuillère à café de crème (pour le riz, optionnel)
1: Dans un pot, ajouter le beurre et quand il fond, ajouter le riz. Cuire le riz pendant 2 – 3 minutes à temperature moyenne.
2: Ajouter le bouillon en petites quantités, en laissant le riz aborber tout le bouillon avant d’en rajouter plus. Répeter jusqu’au riz est presque cuit. Ajouter les tomates et l’ail et bien mélanger.
Step 3: Continuer à cuisiner jusqu’à la cuisson complète du riz. Servir un peu dans le bol.
1: Préparer tous les légumes. Dans une poêle, ajouter de l’huile d’olive et ajouter les légumes un par un.
2: Cuire l’oignon 2 – 3 minutes, puis ajouter le brocoli et cuire pendant 5 minutes. Ajouter les épices. Puis ajouter les carottes et le poivron. Cuire pendant 10 minutes.
3: Bien mélanger tous les légumes jusqu’à obtenir la consistence souhaitée. Servir dans le même bol que le riz.
1: Couper le tofu en dés. Ajouter un peu d’huile d’olive dans une poêle et quand chaud, ajouter le tofu.
Step 2: Cuire le tofu pendant 5-10 minutes. Le tofu doit être doré. Servir dans le même bol que les légumes et le riz.