I miss going to restaurants and I miss eating greek food. There is a greek restaurant that I love going to not too far from my place but because of the current situation it’s closed and now well, I guess I got to learn how to make my fave dishes from there. It’s been a while I don’t eat moussaka so this was 100% made from my memory and from what I wanted to make, so here my maybe not super photogenic but still delicious vegan moussaka. Check out the full recipe video (and don’t forget to subscribe to my channel!) right here:
Ingredients to make this delicious vegan moussaka
This recipe has three steps: the vegetables (potatoes, eggplants & zucchini), the meat, which is prepared with tofu & tomatoes) and the bechamel which just makes the end result even better. And obviously, there is the melting hceese part, which is always the best part.
- Potatoes (for the bottom layer)
- Eggplants (for the layer on top)
- Zucchini (for the top layer of the veggies)
- Herbs: fines herbes, thym, basil, nutmeg, salt & pepper
- Onion & garlic
- Crushed tomatoes
- Balsamic vinegar
- Olive oil
- Milk (plant-based)
- Vegan butter
- Nutmeg, salt & pepper
- Some cheese (to top at the end)
If you want some comfort food, maybe you wanna treat yourself to a nice meal, here some other recipes that could help you:
- Vegan lasagna (very similar to this moussaka, the bechamel is the same recipe & your tummy will feel super happy)
- Super easy and delicious vegan burgers (the top 10 comfort foods: burgers, who could say no to that?)
- One-pot baked gnocchi (one of my favorite recipes from 2020, gnocchis are so underrated)
- Vegan mushroom & polenta bake (same as above, I have learned to cook with polenta this year and it’s so so good!)
Easy & Delicious tofu moussaka
- 3-4 medium sized potatoes Sliced
- 2 eggplants Sliced
- 1.5 zucchnis Sliced
- 500 g firm tofu
- 1 onion
- 3-4 garlic cloves
- 1 medium can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tbsp Fines herbes
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1 tbsp basil
- 1 tbsp Thym
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Salt & pepper
- 1/4 cup vegan butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 and 1/2 cups plant-based milk
- Salt, pepper and nutmeg according to your taste
- Slice the potatoes. Put them in an oven safe tray and tap on them with a kitchen paper to absorbe moisture. Drizzle some olive oil, salt & pepper and cook in a pre-heated oven (200ºC) for at least 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, we will cook the sliced eggplants & zucchini. In a pan, add some olive oil. When hot, add some slices of eggplant. Cook for 8 minutes each side till "roasted". Do the same for the zucchini slices but for 5 minutes each side.
- Set all the veggies aside when ready.
- Press the tofu for at least 30 minutes.
- In a pan, add some olive oil. Cook the garlic & onion for 2-3 minutes then add the crushed tomatoes, herbs and balsamic vinegar. Cook for 20 to 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, take a fork and mince the tofu with it.
- When the sauce is ready, add in the minced tofu and mix well. Leave to rest for at least 30 minutes.
- Melt the butter. Add the flour and stir.
- Add in the hot milk, mix well with a whisker.
- Add salt, pepper & nutmeg according to your taste.
- If the bechamel is too thick, add more milk. If it's too liquid, add a tiny bit more flour.
- In an oven safe tray, add the potatoes at the bottom. Top with the eggplant, then the zucchini. Add the tofu meat, pressing well.
- Pour the bechamel over and then cover with some cheese.
- Cook in the oven at 200ºC for 30 minutes or until the cheese has melted and grilled. If your oven has a grill function, use it till the cheese is melted and grilled
- Wait 5 minutes before serving! Enjoy