The other day I made a bunch of chickpeas so we have been eating a lot and of course, a recipe with chickpeas was needed. I made this for lunch the other day and it was super simple, quick to make and also, you will only need basic pantry ingredients to make it happen. Yeah, just 5 ingredients are needed to make this chickpea curry recipe.
In the upcoming days, and weeks, my recipes will be very basic. I want to be able to provide recipes that are not only easy to make, but at the same time healthy and with basic ingredients. The world is a bit tense right now, and we must stay safe and take care of ourselves. Food is a great way of doing this.
🇫🇷 La recette est disponible en français tout en bas!
The 5 ingredients you need for this chickpea curry recipe
- Chickpeas: Otherwise it wouldn’t be a chickpea recipe.
- Canned tomatoes: Around 400g of tomatoes, basically.
- Frozen peas: Because peas are amazing and I always have at least 2 kg of frozen peas in my freezer.
- Curry and curcuma: we are making curry (a very basic one, but curry nonetheleess).
I am not counting two ingredients in this recipe because I consider them “basic” ingredients, one of them is water (or veggie broth if you want to boost the flavor), the other one is olive oil. As a spanish person, olive oil is even more important than water.
How to prepare this chickpea curry recipe
Not only this recipe is easy in terms of what ingredients you use, but it’s even easier when it comes to the how to. We will put all the ingredients (peas, chickpeas & tomatoes) in a large pan and cook them a bit in olive oil. Then we add the spices and the water (or veggie broth) and you let it simmer for around 20 minutes.
Then you can enjoy it with a side of potatoes, sweet potatoes, white rice or any other type of rice.
The result is really nice. It has a great curry flavor, the tomato adds a layer of texture that is very welcoming and the whole dish is just packed in nutrients and proteins. We made enough for two people but we will sure be making another chickpea curry recipe like this one soon enough. I have made other chickpea recipes in tofucado, here is my Instant Pot chickpea recipe and here a vegetarian soup with chickpeas.
What other recipes would you like to see in the upcoming weeks? More chickpea recipes? More 5-ingredient recipes? Other fast recipes with tons of proteins? Tell me all in the comments !
5 ingredient chickpea curry recipe
- 2 cups chickpeas Either from a can or previously cooked by you
- 1 can peeled tomatoes (Around 400 grams)
- 1 and 1/2 cups frozen peas
- 2 tbsp strong curry powder
- 1 tbsp curcuma
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 and 1/2 cups water or vegetarian broth
- 1/2 cup coconut milk Optional
- To serve with: a side of potatoes, sweet potatoes, white rice or any other type of rice.
- In a large pan, add some olive oil. When hot, add all the ingredients (peas, tomatoes and chickpeas).
- Cook for around 5 minutes. Add all the spices and the veggie broth/water. If you want to add some coconut milk, add it now.
- Cover with a lid and let simmer for around 20 minutes.
- Serve with a side of potatoes, sweet potatoes, white rice or any other type of rice and enjoy.
- 400 gr de pois-chiches
- 200 gr de petit-pois
- 1 boîte de tomates pelées (400 gr à peu près).
- 2 cuillères à soupe de curry
- 1 cuillère à soupe de curcuma
- 300 ml d’eau ou de bouillon végétale
- Optionnel: 100ml de lait de coco.
- Accompagnements: Pommes de terre, patate douce, riz.
- Dans une poêle, ajouter de l’huile d’olive. Quand la poêle est bien chaude, ajouter les petits pois, pois-chiches et tomates.
- Cuire pendant 5 minutes puis ajouter les épices et l’eau/bouillon. Si vous voulez ajouter du lait de coco, vous pouvez le faire maintenant.
- Couvrir avec un couvercle, continuer à cuire a mi-feu pendant 20 minutes.
- Déguster avec des pommes de terre, patates douces, riz blanc ou un autre type de riz.